Thursday, September 25, 2008

thanks to the left - day 13

Two blocks from my house there is a pole that snapped in half, the upper portion lay on the sidewalk, the transformer is busted into a dozen pieces, some in the street some not, and blocks of power line are sprawled around the ground. Across the street from me is a long row of houses with their porch lights on - the street is still dimly lit as most of the street lights did not survive ike - to the left of me, on my side of the street is another row of porch lights, on my porch there is me, with a flashlight perched between my neck and cheek trying to get some schoolwork done, inside my wife is writting a paper by lantern light. It just so happens that the snapped pole two blocks from my house is the supplier of my electricity, it also just so happens that my house is the cutoff point. We, and about 4 other houses are the only ones ok the block without power, our estimated day is Sunday , but word is it could be longer. Things have improved, even though there is not an active power line connected to our house, there are 2 long extension cords coming from the left. We are now the proud owners of a powered fridge and 2 much needed fans. From time to time you might also spot a charging iPod or MacBook pro. There is still no cable or Internet on my block, but there is the occassional hot shower thanks to the left. Unfortunately shower time has moved to 6pm. Since there is no Internet Amy and I have begun alternating days spent at the public library studying - which is no place for our beloved monster child - so our time together is fewer and our hot shower chances are more seldom, but the kids are clean, so..whatever. I have been imagining our entire family cramped around our 5" black and white battery operated tv all week watching the presidential debate Friday, that has been the light at the end of my tunnel, I don't have much faith we will have power by then and so badly need something to look forward to, with that possibly being cancelled I mayl owe everyone a blanket apology for my bitterness from now until two blocks down there is an errect pole with a transformer in one piece and lines tightly buckled down to it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am sorry that things are still so messed up. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.

K said...

WOW.....
me: that really sucks!